LaVerne H. Council, MBA, DBA
Emerald One, LLC
LaVerne H. Council began her career as an “intra-preneur” over 30 years ago, developing a name as a transformational leader; focusing people over product, outcomes over activity. She is a global operations and information technology strategist and change agent, and her experience as a global executive provides her a unique perspective as an influencer, advisor, and coach. She is a founder and the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Emerald One and a member of the board of directors for ConMed, Mathematica, March of Dimes, and GirlUp.
LaVerne’s work as a global executive leader with organizations like Grant Thornton, Johnson & Johnson; Dell, Inc.; and Ernst & Young, LLC give her a unique perspective on the opportunities and challenges faced by both CxO executives and their employees. In her role as the Assistant Secretary for the Office of Information and Technology and Chief Information Officer at the Department of Veterans Affairs, LaVerne not only created the technology strategy, investment, and implementation for the largest civilian agency in the federal government, she transformed the executive leadership team to the most culturally diverse in the federal government.
LaVerne focuses on the health of an organization, the cohesion of the team, and the strength of the individual, weaving the professional path with personal development. A volunteer since the age of 5, LaVerne advises leaders and teams on servant leadership, spotlighting the unique gifts each person brings to the team and using oneself to improve the lives of others.
Awards and Accolades
- Top 10 Global Leaders & Change Agents Award
- Top 10 Global Leaders & Innovators Award Meritorious Service Award – the highest honor for civilian federal employee
- Golden Gov: Federal Executive of Year Award
- Forbes.com - Technology’s Power Women in their Tough, Tech-Smart and Female
- Twice named FedScoop Top 50 Women in Information Technology
- Inducted into the Illinois State University Business Hall of Fame
- New Jersey Technology Council’s CIO Hall of Fame
- Healthcare Data Management’s Most Powerful Women in Healthcare Information Technology
- Featured in Chief Supply Chain Officer Insights as one of the top Supply Chain Leaders of the last 20 years
- Business Trends Quarterly Top 5 CIOs in America